Thursday, April 25, 2024

That moment I redid our table ...

I've hated our table for as long as we've had it. Greg always tells me to go out and buy a new one, but I can't bring myself to pay so much money for some cheap laminate table, so I did what he didn't think I would do, and I redid his childhood table. I learned a lot, like how red oak deserves a special place in hell, that you need to be super careful with laminate, and in the end it really is easier to go out and just buy a table, but I'm happy with the progress, even though one year later I'm needing to redo it again 🤫.

There was something so satisfying watching that '80's varnish just strip away. 
Greg's gifs still kill me 🤣
Meanwhile ...
Progress!
No matter what I did, the red would keep coming through. I tried bleach, sitting it in the sun, all to no avail.
I finally bought some pickling stain and then a stain with green tints in it to counteract the red.
Then I painted, stained, and distressed the bottom a bit.
The final product. I kind of love it!

No comments: