Wednesday, October 11, 2017

First Week Home

Claire LaRee Spjute

We were able to leave the hospital Wednesday, September 27, 2017 and head home with baby Claire. It was fun to dress her for the first time and see how tiny she was in the carseat; it's crazy how tiny newborns are.


When we left the hospital, we realized it was a beautiful day! It was fun to contrast my experience from Sofi with Claire. Sofi was born during a spring snowstorm that lasted for a few days. Claire, on the other hand, was born during a beautiful fall week. The two days couldn't have been any more different. As we were pulling up to our house, we saw my Mom out walking with Sof. She was in the cutest outfit!


Once we were home, Sof wanted either Greg or I to do stuff for her - not more poor Mom. To avoid the whining (which seemed to be constant) my Mom would snuggle Claire instead. There are worse things I guess :).

Yes, my 2 year old still fits into the baby swing, within the weight requirements even.
Greg's talented Aunt Barbara makes these quilts for her nieces and nephews. This one she made Claire is beyond beautiful!
Sof and I have dubbed these two the "darkies."
After work one day, Greg took Sof on a bike ride to this park. They were gone for awhile, but based on these pictures, Sofi had a ball! The poor girl spent a lot of time bored inside while I was trying to adjust to having a newborn again.

Bonding
We ventured out one morning and strapped Claire onto my mom so I could push Sof in the stroller. We didn't go very far (thanks to my swollen body), but it felt so good to be outside!
Protesting her bath
This is what happens when Daddy is left alone with Sofi :).

My little sister Shelby really wanted to see Baby Claire, so she hitched a ride up north with some girls. She was a big help entertaining Sofi. Shelby is really into gel nails right now, so we all had our feet pampered (except Greg).

Sofi has never been a fan of bread - until my Mom miraculously got her to eat a whole slice of toast one morning. She's never looked back since.
Shelby and Claire.

Lucky for us, Claire's first weekend home also happened to be General Conference, so we got to enjoy 'church' in the comforts of our basement.

It doesn't get much better than this :).
Sof has an annoying little van that plays music. This is her final pose after hopping around dancing to the songs. She would say, "and stretch!"
Her face right here says it all! :)

My mom and Shelby left between the Sunday morning and afternoon sessions. It's always hard to see family go, even though we know we'll see them again. My mom was such a big help that week that it makes me wonder what my life would be like if we lived closer. I forget how productive that lady is. She had our whole house officially unpacked and organized by the time I got home from the hospital. She gets more done in a single morning than I do in a week. When I grow up, I hope to be more like her.

Final photo before everyone leaving.

We found out a few days before Claire was born that Greg's firm offers 2 weeks of paid Paternity leave. It pretty much isn't an option - husbands must take the 2 weeks, so it was a nice thought to know I have help for that much longer after my mom left. Greg wasn't thrilled and called it his "two weeks of hell," and I'm sure for the most part he has been bored, but boy has he been helpful!

No comments: