Tuesday, October 3, 2017

39.1 Weeks

Monday, September 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure I woke up that morning determined to get the baby out. I had slept horribly, and was overall done being pregnant. So, after breakfast, I loaded Sofi up into the stroller, and went on a brisk walk around our neighborhood for about an hour. By the time we got home, things were starting to hurt (in a good way I guess). We played in the backyard and moved inside to do some laundry, just in case. Things continued to cramp and I started doing laps around the basement while Sofi commenced in folding laundry


After confirming with my sister that I was indeed having labor pains, I called Greg and told him to come home. I then called my midwife who told me to start making my way to the hospital. Luckily we already had bags packed for me and Sofi, so we were ready to go once April arrived to take care of Sofi loaf. 

Once in the car, the contractions seemed to stop. Which wasn't a good thing, but we drove all the way to LDS Hospital anyway. We were committed after all. We parked, and made our way to the 4th floor. The nurses this time around were way better than with Sofi. They were waiting for us. Apparently my midwife had called to tell them we were coming. She is truly the best!

Once I was all changed and situated, we found out I was only dilated to a 4. A 4!! I was an 8 with Sofi, so this was like a sucker punch to the face. The nurse told us to go walk around for 40 min to see if there was any progress. Next check determined that I was a 4+ (whatever that means) so they decided to keep us. Hallelujah! Bad things would've happened if they'd sent me home. 

Greg and I spent the next 4 hours walking around, eventually resulting in 14,300+ steps. We were both exhausted by the end of the day. Apparently we don't walk as much as we should. 

My midwife eventually showed up and broke my water around 6:45 pm. Once that happened, my contractions escalated significantly. They went from painful braxton hicks to full out causing me to whoop and holler. The anesthesiologist was summoned, and I've never been happier to have a needle shoved in my spine. Needless to say, through all the awesome things that happen with childbirth, Baby Girl #2 was born at 7:22 pm. 

8 lbs, 0 oz and 19.5 in long of pure perfection!

The cute nurse who had been there with us all day stayed 30 minutes past the end of her shift just to help with the delivery. This means there were 2 nurses in the room and Greg was relieved from having to hold one of my legs. He couldn't have been happier. I sure have a stoic husband.

Lucky for me, I decided to order dinner before delivering the baby, so I was able to eat beforehand. Neither one of us had much to eat for lunch, so we were starving. Greg was happy to finish off my mac & cheese and sweet potatoes. They tasted better than they sound, I promise. Also, what is it about hospital juice tasting so good? I had downed 4 cups of grape juice and 3 of apple. Turns out I was more dehydrated than I thought. That, and those dang 14,300+ steps. They should've broken my water 4 hours earlier. I guess we'll know for next time, oh, and definitely getting the epidural first. 

Baby Girl #2 was born as mellow as can be - a complete 180 from her very vocal older sister. She was content to lay there and only whimpered when they poked her heel. Greg and I kept looking at each other wondering what was possibly wrong with her, but it turns out she just has a completely different temperament, which has proven to be exactly what we need. She has passed all of her tests with flying colors and has proven to be quite the angel baby. We love her so much!

No comments: