Thursday, December 1, 2022

Remembering 9-11

September 11 is always a surreal day for me. I remember with scary detail the things I experienced in my 5th grade classroom while all teaching was halted, and instead we watched the TV nonstop the entire school day. My teacher was ex-military, so he was quick to shut down any talk of anyone saying anything like "cool," "wow," "look at the flames" etc. He was candid in his remarks as to why what we were witnessing was not "cool," "wow," or in any way entertaining. Now that I'm an adult and have a more mature way of seeing things, I'm realizing the impact that day had on American history. At how torn apart the country seems these days, it is amazing to see that in the moment of tragedy, our people will pull together.

A Sept 11 Memorial came to the Davis County Fairgrounds this year and we were sure to take our kids to it. They spared no detail in documenting the events of that day. Although our girls weren't able to understand much of what they were watching and seeing in the pictures and videos, they were able to understand that it was a scary day. It was a good experience for us as parents to be able to teach our girls about history, and how it can impact our future.

Cute Sof comforting Claire. They were feeling all of the feels looking at the pictures.

They had separate rooms where people could sit and watch documentaries of survivors. It was surreal to sit and watch the same broadcasts I saw as a 10 year old. It's crazy to relive things after 21 years.

This was super cool to me and something I didn't know happened.

After getting through the heavy history stuff, there were fun activities for the kids outside. 

The girls were thrilled to get some balloon animals; kitties, of course.
The coolest bus ever!
Me and my Quincey babes. She makes everything better!

No comments: