Sunday, April 21, 2019

Toilet Troubles

Luckily we have 3 toilets in our house, because the upstairs 2 decided to self-combobulate within a week of each other. Once I got mine and Greg's fixed, Sofi's wax ring decided to disintegrate, which  lead me to redoing the bathroom. I was hoping to do it anyway sometime in the future, so the toilet gave me a kick in the pants, and 1 month later it is pretty much complete, but holy cow was it a mess!

I didn't peel the linoleum back quickly enough, so black mold was quickly growing. I had to rip up the linoleum to allow the subfloor to dry. Sadly, I had to rip the rest of the linoleum out.
This bathroom really was hideous!
3 Days and lots of pounding and sanding later, I had most of the linoleum and glue up. Whoever put that flooring in wanted it to last through the Millennium. 
Luckily we didn't have to replace this, but I'm not sure how long it will last so hopefully we move before it decomposes as well.
Progress pics! Not a single wall is square in this bathroom.
Already so much better!
These cute girlies were such good troopers! They were content to entertain themselves for many days while I let the bathroom project consume me!
Sofi picked the paint color, and it's really bright but pretty cute! Ready for base trim.
After 2 weeks, I finally got the toilet put back on, and despite my PTSD, it hasn't leaked!!
My little project partners! 
Proof that they love each other (most of the time). They learned to play with each other really well while the bathroom was being redone. They are quite the little frenemies.






I was really gung ho about redoing everything, so I took it upon myself to take out the shelves above the toilet that I absolutely hated from day 1. What I thought would take 10 minutes took me well over an hour, and I was sweating more than I would on a hot summer day after running!


Really, can you blame me for wanting these gone?
The shelves popped right off so I was feeling really optimistic.
Anger got the best of me and I put some pretty impressive holes in the wall
Whoever put these shelves in used 42 SCREWS!! 42 people! The individual deserves a special place in Hell, along with whoever put the linoleum in.

TA-DA!!
Messy, but it is pretty much done (minus painting the baseboards and vanity) but people we have arrived!
I love it but hope I NEVER have to do it again!!!!!
Greg helped by lifting the toilet.

It's bright, beautiful, and a Sofi loves her new bathroom! I feel accomplished, but holy cow do I feel bad for the people who decide to reno their whole house at once. Slow and steady people ... slow and steady.

No comments: