Sunday, March 25, 2018

Not Sure It Was Worth It

I had another title for this post, but I'm not sure Greg would approve. You're welcome.

Back story: Claire's room is on the south side of the house, meaning it gets the south sun on warm days. We had such a day last week where she had a hard time napping in her warm room that I decided to beat the summer heat and install a fan in her room.

I joyfully load the kids in the car and go to Home Depot to pick up the new fixture. Things went downhill from there. Sof decided to throw a fit, which made me fly into a rage - all while sweet Claire sat contently in her little swing. I was taking the old light down and was so mad, I didn't take pictures of how the wires were connected - Big mistake.

Fast forward to 2.5 days later where I've called the fan many things I shouldn't repeat on this post, and the dang thing still won't work properly, meaning it would work, but I couldn't get it to work with the light switch. Turns out our house was built 1 year before building code was even a thing. Lovely.

Anyway, I eventually let go of my pride and called a guy in the ward who had offered to help a few days earlier, when I borrowed his voltage tester after being shocked 3 times (one which almost knocked me off my stool, another cause for bad words).

He wasn't able to get the fan connected, so he called in "the reinforcements" as he called him - a professional electrician in the ward just down the street, who had things fixed in no time. And, he fixed the wiring in the fan in our room, because apparently that was wired backwards too. Go figure.

Word to the wise: take pictures of the wiring in fixtures before completely removing them, to save yourself a world of hurt. Also, possibly try to avoid ripping a light out of the ceiling if your two year old is screaming at the top of her lungs in the room next door.

The End.


And yes, the room is still green.

1 comment:

Laura Jorgenson said...

I love this! Glad I'm not the only one who does things out of rage and then have them backfire. Sorry we're not closer to help;)