Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Wind Stormageddon 2020

We've had a pandemic, an earthquake, and the earth decided it was time to throw a wind storm at us. And holy freaking cow was it a windstorm! We knew it was coming - the meteorologists said it was - but I don't think people truly believed them, because honestly, how often are they really right?

The night before, my dad called and told me to tie my trampoline down. I wish I had taken his advice.


They said winds reached upwards to 90 MPH in our area, Hurricane wind speeds. Luckily our tree's survived, thanks to Greg and his quick thinking, but our neighbors weren't so lucky. But, it knocked out power, so that was fun to deal with as well amid all of the other crazy going on.

Turns out we didn't have rope, so Greg grabbed extension cords and held the tree's in place while I tried to secure the cord to the stakes Greg had pounded into the ground. Quick thinking on his part, and a learning experience for us. Buy rope!

The aftermath.
We were foolish and didn't pull our peaches before the storm. Lesson learned.
Power got wiped out. This was the 3rd time in 3 years we have been so grateful to have this little stove. Our neighbors aren't so lucky and had to go elsewhere. Not us! We cooked on the camp chef and stoked the fire. It was awesome! It was fun to use lanterns at night too. It helps having excited little girls - they make everything more fun.
I saw this porta potty and was dying! I pity the fool who had to clean it up.
Cooking crepes on the stove. They were delish!

Once the power was out, and Greg wasn't able to work from home. He promptly left us to fend for ourselves and drove in to work where life was normal. I'll be honest, I was really upset with him for abandoning us while everyone else's husbands stayed home to help clean everything up. While I flipped the tramp back over (with the help of Sofi), cut and raked up the limbs, cooked on the camp chef and kept the house warm, Greg was in his office, blissfully typing away. Don't worry, I've gotten over it. But boy was I mad at him for awhile.

Pics Greg got on his way to work.


I really hope this isn't our future


Aftermath of the storm down in the Hollow. I went running down there the night after the storm, and couldn't even get my way through. It was so crazy down there I had to bushwack my way up to the main road and hobble home from there.



No comments: