Thursday, August 8, 2019

San Diego Trip

May 28 - Happy 8th Anniversary to us!

This was us anxiously awaiting "The Avengers: Endgame." April & Toby were graciously watching our kids so we could endure the 3 hour movie. Well, 1 hour into the movie, everything went black. We were naive enough to sit in our chairs and hope for the best, when in reality, power to the building had been knocked out, thanks to some special soul who decided to hit a power pole. It ended up taking another hour to get out of the parking lot, leaving us 1 hour to get dinner.
Happy Anniversary to us.

And we have yet to see Endgame.

For our 8th Anniversary, I had arranged a quick getaway for Greg and I to Sunny San Diego at my Grandpa's time share! My mom was going to watch the girls for the 4 days we would be gone. The girls and I headed South earlier than Greg, because we were delivering my Mom's fancy new Car to her. It was nice, but yes, I will admit that I like having my van better when it comes to traveling with kids. There, I said it. Now I'll go wash my mouth out with soap ...

I

On our way to San Diego!!

Please ignore my double chin.
Our plan was to get there Friday and check out Monday (which is exactly what we did). We made it in good enough time Friday, that we were able to check out the local eating scene, and eat at the yummiest greek place. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!

Saturday, we woke up and went first thing to the San Diego temple, where we had breakfast and did Sealings together. We go to the temple once a year together, and it was fun to be here with Greggy doing sealings in a fun new place. Lucky for us, we chose to go while they were reinforcing the steeples.


After the temple, we went to the coldest beach ever! Seriously, no one was in the water. What happened to Sunny San Diego?

Coldest picnic ever!

Our trip to the beach was made worth it by being able to rent scooters and ride around the cutest beach houses that I will never be able to afford, nor want to live in. But, they're cute, so there's that.

After, we drove to The Midway! Which was amazing, awe-inspiring, and a fun piece of history to explore.

The highlight for me was seeing this cute war vet who had seen combat and shot down Kamikazi's! He was sitting outside a replica of the plane her had flown during WWII.
Looking 4 floors down to where they would lift engines up from the machine room.
I told Greg if we ever had to live on a ship like that, to just shoot me.

On the top deck.
Greg felt tall walking around the hallways.
Greg found a shirt he liked.
And I made him get it. For once I was on the receiving end of having to wait for him in line, and I was laughing my head off! Look at how cute he's holding the hanger! :)
Reliving this photo! Maybe next time Greg will hold me like he loves me.
After the Midway, we headed over to explore Old Town San Diego. We stopped at the Mormon Batallion, and ended up eating at a yummy Mexican Restaurant.

The cute sister missionaries were troopers. Greg and I were the only 2 they were taking through in their "group" and for this room they normally have kids volunteer, but Greg proudly volunteered for me.
At the lookout overlooking San Diego after panning for gold.
We found a yummy Mexican Restaurant where we were given an awkward picture from a cute french lady taking pictures while people ate. Super unflattering, but it's a fun picture to laugh at. 

I feel it noteworthy to mention, that whenever we go somewhere, Greg always seems to get sick or otherwise physically ill. This time did not disappoint. He drove the entire 8 hour drive from Cedar City to San Diego, and got more uncomfortable the longer he sat. Come to find out, he had something growing on his tailbone, and by Saturday night it had become unbearable for him to sit or walk (imagine cheeks chaffing on the growth). So, I performed surgery on what we had named "Fat Patricia." Greg put a rolled up washcloth in his mouth and lay on his stomach where he could grip the bedpost and corner of the closet. You think I was cutting off his arm instead of popping his growth from the way he was howling and writhing on the floor while I was laughing my head off! I found a needle in my overnight bag, which I have since thrown away. But we are happy to report that Fat Patricia shrunk significantly. We also had to buy giant bandaids to put on it so Greg wouldn't bleed through his underwear. Ripping off that bandaid and therefore "waxing" Greg became a highlight of my day. RIP Fat Patricia.

Sunday, we slept through the first Sacrament Meeting we were originally going to go to, and went to another one, so it worked out. The people were super friendly! While there, we learning that June is actually a very cloudy month for San Diego, which shed light on why we had been experiencing overcast weather the entire time there.

Afterwards, we made our way to Balboa Park where we listened to an Organ Festival. It was pretty cool!

Greg peering down into a beautiful Chinese garden he didn't want to pay for.
We found a really pretty Rose Garden!


When on the Midway, we saw this bridge and realized it was the Coronado Bridge, and I really wanted to go over it, and Greg was eager to drive, so off to the island we went! Once there, we realized there wasn't much to see, so we turned right back around and headed back. Then, we headed back to Balboa Park to ride more scooters!

These Scooters + Me = LOVE! And Greggy, him too :)
For dinner, we had yummy fish tacos from Rubio's, and they were amazing!

Monday we woke up bright and early, checked out, and headed back towards our homeland. I was content to sleep while Greg got stuck in traffic. We stopped in Vegas where we had fun at Wet'n Wild. Water Parks go a lot faster when we don't have kids with us, and we rode everything as many times as we needed, then headed North towards our babies. Who knew that after 4 days, I would miss them, and miss them I did. 

After being cold in San Diego, the 100 degree weather in Vegas was amazing!

We made it home and were happy to see that Grandma and our girls were still smiling. I'm not sure if Greg even really had fun in San Diego, but I had fun, and we got to ditch the girls, so that to me was a win-win.

No comments: